Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I've been busy with work, but once the next week or so is over, I'll be back to blogging about BC baseball and softball.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Monday, April 6, 2009
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Carnesecca arena lobby
The arena itself (pretty sweet)
BC-GTown at 5 PM today at Conte. Go Eagles!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Ohio State 0
North Dakota 4
New Hampshire 2
North Dakota 2
Air Force 3
Air Force 0
Notre Dame 4
Bemidji State 0
Notre Dame 2
Minnesota Duluth 2
Notre Dame 1
Saturday, March 21, 2009
In a span of a few hours, the men's hockey and basketball seasons both came tumbling down to abrupt and disappointing conclusions, with the b-ball team slammed by USC and the hockey team upended by BU 3-2 at the Garden.
The Eagles were 9 minutes away from pulling off the upset in Boston, leading BU 1-0 on a brilliant goal by Ben Smith, when the Terriers put up 3 goals in a dizzying 44-second span. Joe Whitney got one back with 5 minutes to play, but BC couldn't get it done and BU now moves on to face UMass-Lowell in the league championship game. BU will probably beat them like a mule; the talent differential from game 1 to game 2 was striking.
BU really came out and shelled BC in the first period and the Eagles were lucky to survive. But from the second period on, BC began to control the tempo a little more, ultimately resulting in Smith's goal, which he batted out of the air and into the net on a breakaway [reminiscent of a few of BC's goals against UNH last year].
The Eagles killed two penalties early in the 3rd period and spirits were high as we approached the final minutes of the game looking to hang on. But it all caved in so quickly... and that was that.
I'll probably be going to the Manchester regional next week but it certainly won't be the same without BC.
This senior class has nothing to be ashamed of despite this season. 3 national championship games, 1 national title, 2 Hockey East championships... this class leaves the Heights with a lot of good memories. Thanks to all of them and best of luck in the future.
All we've got left to carry the winter sports flame is the WNIT. The Eagles host BU on Monday night in their NIT opener after the Terriers defeated Central Connecticut.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Sunday, March 15, 2009
BU vs BC - 5 PM
UML vs Northeastern - 8 PM
BU wins, NU loses
BU vs UMass - 5 PM
UML vs BC - 8 PM
BU loses, NU wins
NU vs Maine - 5 PM
UML vs BC - 8 PM
BU loses, NU loses
UML vs Maine - 5 PM
BC vs UMass - 8 PM
Friday, March 13, 2009
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Saturday, February 28, 2009
I still think the rest of the defensive corps is shaky (see: PC's 2-on-0) and the PP needs work, but the forwards looked GOOD tonight. Lit the lamp 7 times even though only 6 were goals and only 5 counted. Crisp, clean passes. Strong on the puck, getting it in deep, making things happen.
I LOVE seeing Almeida and Atkinson on the same line. They did that against Maine and burned them all weekend. Hope to see them stay together the rest of the year, don't care who the 3rd guy is.
Whitney had his best game in a while. One play that really stands out in my memory - Whitney was in the corner, Providence was skating the puck out of their defensive zone, and Whit chased him down and knocked the puck off his stick and hummed it back in deep. Good strong play. He's playing with a fire that wasn't there before.
And how can you not love Kucharski? What a story, the guy's a beast. Does my neighbors in Saugus proud and makes up for the fact that that hack Lawrence is from there.
We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the trip.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Saturday, February 21, 2009
BC earns the #2 seed in the Hockey East tournament with an impressive 5-1 win at Providence. Allie Thunstrom scored two, with one goal each by Mary Restuccia, Kelli Stack, and Maggie Taverna.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
...wow. Every now and then, it feels like we're at a legitimate big time athletics school. Those moments are fleeting, but my God, they sure are gratifying.
The Eagles have now defeated every team in the ACC since joining the league.
I don't hate Duke the way some (most?) people do, but I still hate that weasel Paulus from his tussle with Hinnant in the 2006 ACC championship game. To see him suck it up on the court at Conte was great.
The refs were characteristically bad, but that's to be expected against Duke. Really not surprising at all.
Joe Trapani was a monster tonight. And how can you not love Reggie Jackson? His 3 with about 8 minutes left was one of the top 5 key plays of the game.
Storming the court was fun, and it was especially good to see Gene DeFilippo personally clearing people out of the courtside seats and moving chairs out of the way to give students a lane to run onto the court. A few mouthbreathers from TeamOps tried to hold students back, which really only made things more dangerous as they were getting trampled from all sides.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The Crimson, who for whatever reason elect to roll 2 lines despite having a full roster, began to wear themselves out in the 2nd and early in the 3rd, especially since they were on the PK a lot - tons of dumb penalties. Their chances got weaker and the shot disparity closed.
On a BC penalty kill with 9 minutes left, Allie Thunstrom picked off a D-to-D pass and broke in two-on-one w/ Kelli Stack. Stack slowed down and stayed a few feet behind the play, and right when Thunstrom was coming up to the goal line, she slid it over to Stack to her left. They had the goalie moving left-to-right and Stack ripped it inside the far post for the only goal.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Sunday, February 8, 2009
The men's hockey team defeated UMass on Friday night in a dry, defensive struggle that saw both teams play the trap fairly often. Benn Ferriero hummed in a power play goal less than five minutes into the game; from there, BC went on the defensive and grinded out a conference win.
The penalty kill stood strong in the second period, when BC picked up 6 straight minutes of penalties including a large chunk of 5-on-3.
Paul Carey went from healthy scratch to a crucial part of the power play. Only BC hockey.
It was great to see John Muse pick up a shutout after his misadventures on Monday. Hopefully, this helps restore his confidence.
5 PM Monday... see ya there.
As for the women -
They beat Maine 2-0 at Conte. The first two periods were awful. BC just about constantly had the puck, but did nothing with it, mostly pouring in their shots from the perimeter. They found another gear in the third and picked up two goals to slip away with a victory.
A win's a win, but the Eagles continue to play down to bad competition, which could bite them if they're not careful. Also, BC's transition game can be painful to watch sometimes. They often force plays that aren't there, driving it into traffic up the middle when there are lanes available up the boards.
UMaine's goalie, Genevieve Turgeon, deserves a lot of credit. BC could have easily poured in 4 or 5 goals in the 3rd period, but Turgeon made a number of great sprawling saves to keep the Eagles out. BC also hit a post and a crossbar in pursuit of the elusive winning goal, which didn't come until the halfway mark in the 3rd period.
For all the grousing, if the season ended today, the men and women would both be in NCAAs. For that, I am grateful.
The Trophy Case: BC's honors during my years at school
- Men's Basketball
- 2006 - Commonwealth Classic Winner
- 2008 - Commonwealth Classic Winner
- Women's Basketball
- 2008 - Caribbean Challenge Winners
- 2008 - Blue Sky Classic Winners
- 2008 - ICSA Women's National Champions
- 2008 - ICSA Co-Ed National Champions
- 2006 - Meineke Car Care Bowl Winner
- 2007 - Ireland Trophy
- 2007 - ACC Atlantic Division Champions
- 2007 - Champs Sports Bowl Winner
- 2008 - Ireland Trophy
- 2008 - ACC Atlantic Division Champions
- Men's Soccer:
- 2007 - ACC Regular Season Champions
- 2007 - ACC Tournament Champions
- Women's Soccer:
- 2006 - Sweet Sixteen
- 2008 - Sweet Sixteen
- Women's Hockey:
- 2007 - Beanpot Champions
- 2007 - Frozen Four
- 2009 - Beanpot Champions
- Men's Hockey:
- 2007 - Hockey East Tournament Champions
- 2007 - Frozen Four
- 2007 - Mariucci Classic Champions
- 2008 - Beanpot Champions
- 2008 - Hockey East Tournament Champions
- 2008 - Frozen Four
- 2008 - National Champions
Games I Attended in '07-'08
- Overall: 51-30-11 + 12 non BC + spring football = 105 games
- Home: 40-25-6 + spring game
- Away: 4-5-5
- Neutral: 7-0
- Non-BC NCAA Games: 12
- Men's Hockey: 13-6-5
- Women's BBall: 8-2
- Football: 6-1 + spring game
- Baseball: 5-1
- Softball: 4-0
- Men's BBall: 6-4
- Women's Hockey: 8-11-5
- Men's Soccer: 1-2-1
- Field Hockey: 0-1
- Women's Soccer: 0-1
Stadiums/Fields Seen 07-08
- Total: 20
- Conte Forum [BC] - (49)
- Alumni Stadium [BC] - (8)
- TD Banknorth Garden - (7)
- Shea Field, Baseball [BC] - (6)
- Newton Soccer Field [BC] - (6)
- Walter Brown Arena [BU] - (4)
- Shea Field, Softball [BC] - (4)
- Matthews Arena [NU] - (3)
- DCU Center [Worcester] - (3)
- Schneider Arena [PC] - (2)
- Ridder Arena [Minnesota] - (2)
- UConn Hockey Arena [Conn] - (2)
- Agganis Arena [BU] - (2)
- Tsongas Arena [UML] - (1)
- Whittemore Center [UNH] - (1)
- Mariucci Arena [Minnesota] - (1)
- Bright Arena [Harvard] - (1)
- Harvard Stadium [Harvard] - (1)
- Newton Field Hockey [BC] - (1)
- Houston Field House [RPI] - (1)
Games I attended in 06-07
- Men's Hockey, 4/12/08 - National Champs.
- Football, 10/26/07 - BC rallies with two touchdowns in the last 2:11 to win at Virginia Tech and maintain their #2 ranking. Students spill out of the dorms and have an impromptu celebration all over campus. What a night. WOW.
- Men's Hockey, 3/30/08 - BC scores 3 goals in 1:58 to come from an 0-2 deficit to a 3-2 lead late in the 2nd against Miami in the NCAA regional final.
- Men's Hockey, 3/30/08 - Joe Whitney's ridiculous diving goal sends BC to the Frozen Four, beating Miami 4-3 in OT.
- Men's Hockey, 3/21/08 - Benn Ferriero's 3OT goal caps a comeback against UNH in the Hockey East semifinals at the Garden.
- Men's Hockey, 2/11/08 - Nick Petrecki's OT goal wins the Beanpot for BC!
- Football, 9/1/07 - BC scores a touchdown to tie the game at 21 right before half time against Wake. BC wins 38-28
- Men's Hockey, 11/30/07 - BU goalie Karson Gillespie gets sent to the box by Benedetto for a swan dive... piss-your-pants laughter follows
- Men's Hockey, 3/15/08 - Nate Gerbe's amazing penalty shot goal makes it 4-0 BC over PC in Game 2 of the HE QFs
- Men's Hockey, 2/4/08 - Gerbe slays BU in overtime
- Men's Hockey, 3/22/08 - BC cruises to another Hockey East title, beating UVM 4-0
- Men's Hockey, 3/29/08 - BC gets past the Gophers 5-2 in the NCAA tournament.
- Men's Hockey, 3/15/08 - BC sweeps the Friars with a pair of 5-1 wins in the HE QFs to advance to the TD Banknorth Garden.
- Women's Hockey, 2/29/08 - Eagles top PC 4-2 in the season's penultimate game to keep their playoff hopes alive. Stack with the ENG to ice it with 4 seconds left.
- Women's Hockey, 1/4/07 - BC kills off a 5-on-3, Lindsay Wright aka CANADA scores a sick goal, and BC upsets #4 SLU 5-2
- Women's Basketball, 1/6/07 - BC stuns NC State with a thrilling 1 point come-from-behind victory
- Men's Soccer, 11/9/07 - BC clinches ACC reg. season title with a win at home against VT.
- Women's Hockey, 01/12/08 - MN native Allie Thunstrom's goal with 1:30 to go gives BC a tie @ #4 Minnesota
- Men's Hockey, 3/14/08 - BC blitzes Providence early and often en route to 5-1 win in Game 1 of HE QFs at BC
- Men's Basketball, 12/23/07 - Tyrese Rice knocks down a floater with less than 5 seconds to play to give BC the 57-55 win over Northeastern.
- Men's Hockey, 1/19/08 - Carl Sneep's goal in the 3rd ties BU 2-2; pandemonium in the student section
- Football, 11/24/07 - BC finally snaps the long losing streak against the U.
- Women's Hockey, 2/10/08 - BC's Stack scores in the 2nd to tie UNH 1-1. We lost, but that was a great moment.
- Women's Basketball, 12/31/07 - Picco nails back to back three pointers as BC wins a thriller against NU
- Baseball, 5/13/08 - BC rallies from big early deficit to beat UConn.
- Softball, 3/26/08 - Fence Girl crashes into the fence, Thunstrom scores winning run, BC downs HC 4-3
- Women's Hockey, 11/29/07 - A clutch goal with under a minute remaining by Stack gives BC a much needed point @ UConn
- Women's Hockey, 3/15/08 - UNH tops St. Lawrence 3-2 in OT to give Hockey East a representative in the Frozen Four.
- Men's Hockey, 11/30/07 - BC explodes for a 3-0 1st period lead en route to a 6-2 win over BU
- Football, 10/7/07 - BC scores 31 points in the 2nd quarter against Bowling Green and rolls to 55-24 win - up to #4 in the country!